It is hereby announced for the information of the general public, particularly stakeholders in the transport sector across the State that as part of efforts by the Delta State Government to prevent the spread of coronavirus, the Directorate of Transport has given guidelines for public transport operators and stakeholders to follow.
The guidelines are as follows:
(1) Transport Operators/Companies are to sanitize their parks/garages, vehicles, environment regularly and continuously by spraying recommended disinfectants at least 15 to 20 minutes before and after each trip.
(2) Transport Operators/Companies are to have at the entrance of their respective parks/garages, washing hand equipment with soap and running water
(3) Operators are to have alcohol-base sanitizers in their vehicles for use by drivers, conductors and passengers;
(4) Operators are not allowed to overcrowd/overload their vehicles at this point in time. Passengers spacing must be fully observed as Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), recommends that at least 2m distance is required between anyone showing symptoms of respiratory illness;
(5) Taxis shall admit or take a total of 3 passengers; one person in the front seat and two persons at the back seat
(6) No standing in long bus operations
(7) 5 passengers for mini (Suzuki) buses
(8) 10 passengers for 14/18 Seater Buses. One passenger in the front seat and three passengers per seat row subsequently.
(9) Tricycle (keke) to accommodate 2 passengers at the back seat with the rider at the front alone.
(10) Air conditioning systems in public transportation are not allowed for now
(11) Public transport operators/companies must have temperature readers to test each passenger before boarding the bus and to disallow anybody with temperature above 380C.
Effective from March 26, 2020, at all Bus stops and stations, all commuters and passengers shall maintain regular queue and orderliness to avoid needless rough contacts and struggles leading to altercations and spitting or droplets. Drivers and conductors should always wear hand gloves and nose guide while in transit.
All taxis and buses shall keep and re-stock their vehicles with wipes, tissues and other disposable items for use by passengers to wipe down the vehicle doors and other handles.
Passengers are also required to sanitize themselves before and after each journey and to regularly wash their hands with soap and running water before and after any journey.
Transport operators/companies and passengers are to report any suspected case of COVID-19 to the Delta State Public Health Emergency Operation Centre or call the dedicated line: 08031230480, 08031230481(Toll free).
Also passengers are to report any operator/company that does not comply with these guidelines by sending text messages or call 08027501447, stating the vehicle registration number, park, date and time.
Accordingly, stakeholders in the transport sector are by this announcement advised to adhere to these guidelines and join hands with the state government to fight against the spread of COVID-19. The Directorate of Transport, DESTMA and other law enforcement agencies will monitor the exercise.
State Director of Information